Thursday, November 3, 2011

Let's Get Started...How this all Began

The amazing thing for me right now is how this all came about. It started with a move, an incredibly evil retail chain, and applying on a whim to the Happiest Place on Earth. I moved from the Sacramento area in Northern California just a little over three months ago, coming down to Orange County to start a new chapter in my life. Little did I know just how many new things this chapter would bring me. I worked for a retail chain that shall remain unnamed, but is known for selling consumer electronics and has a bright yellow tag. When I decided to move, I didn't want to come down without a job so I decided to transfer my job to a new store down here. Which may be the best mistake I ever made.

The new store was a nightmare from the start. They bungled my transfer and I was unemployed for almost a month. Once I started, I could tell the management didn't like me much, and within weeks rumors were circulating about me behind my back, by the managers and a few coworkers, and they'd  change my schedule without telling me, and changed my interview for a full time position to a time I couldn't do it. But that wasn't the breaking point. The breaking point came when I took time off while my mom came down to visit and they called me and forced me to come into a meeting after I wasn't scheduled, and I'd had the time off a month in advance. This new store was just a terrible place for me to be, and I could tell they didn't want me there. So in desperate turn, I decided to reapply to Disneyland, but had no hopes of getting the job. But within hours of doing my online application and interview, I had an in person interview within days. I walked into Best Buy for my last time the next morning for the meeting and quit on the spot and walked out, just after three years of working there, without looking back.

I had two great days of rest, and then went into Team Disney Anaheim ready to knock their socks off and get the job. I went through the interview process, and within an hour, I was offered a job in California Adventure. I was unemployed for three days, only to get hired by the company I'd always dreamed of working for. They liked me enough to hire me to help make magic for those visiting the resorts, and I couldn't be more excited. I just filled out all the paperwork and went through the onboarding yesterday, which means as of November 2, 2011, I'm now officially a Disneyland employee and work for the greatest, and easily most successful company in the world. It's surreal. I'm blown away by how lucky I am, and I'm just so thankful that the company wanted me and that the job turn around was so quick. From here on out, I'll be bringing stories, musings, and other random thoughts to this blog through my adventure that is life and Disney. Remain seated please. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment